If we have great weather in March and April, I am able to complete annual maintenance projects sooner and aim to start sailing on April 1st. If we are experiencing a mild Fall, I will sail through the end of November.
I do not sail from December through March because it’s too cold to sail comfortably. I want my customers to enjoy their sails!
I never force my customers to sail in the rain but if you still do want to sail, I have a cabin and a bimini to take cover under so you’ll remain dry. If you decide not to sail (the chance of rain must be greater than 30%, using weather.com as our source), we can try to reschedule and if we can’t find a date that works, I will give a full refund. I also don’t force people to sail when the temperature is below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I will call the sail off if there is a strong threat of lightning or winds are in excess of 30 miles per hour.
We must wait until the day of the charter (at least two hours prior to the start of the charter) to make the final decision on weather so we have the most accurate forecast. The closer to the start of the charter that we can wait, the more accurate the forecast will be as radar projections can be used.
Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. If you enter "Narwhal Yacht Charters" on Google Maps, you'll see my exact location. For your reference, I am docked at a slip in MarineMax on Pier 59 (Chelsea Piers) on the Hudson River, which is the equivalent of 17th St and the West Side Highway (11th Ave). You'll see a gate that leads to the boardwalk / marina I'm docked at, which is south (left) of the golf nets of the driving range.
For my four hour charters, we sail along Manhattan on the Hudson River, as close to the Statue of Liberty as permitted, around Governor’s Island via the Buttermilk Channel, up the East River underneath the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Bridge (and to the Williamsburg Bridge if conditions are favorable), back down the East River to round Battery Park, and then finally head up the Hudson River back to Chelsea Piers. If you have a private charter with me, you can customize the route.
I provide bottled water, sodas, ice, cups, plates, bowls, utensils, and napkins at no extra cost. You are more than welcome to bring food to enhance your experience.
Yes, but I don’t provide alcohol.
My sailboat has a full keel which makes her more stable than most boats. However, all boats rock. I suggest that you take a motion sickness pill before boarding the boat if you are afraid of getting seasick as the pill takes time to work.
Of course! I’ve been sailing since in my mother’s womb so it would be hypocritical of me to not allow children aboard the Genesis! Children under 12 years of age are required to wear a life jacket, which I provide.
Yes, but it’s not a full sized refrigerator like you would find in a home. It’s large enough to hold drinks and a small amount of food for a charter.
Yes! The stereo has a Bluetooth receiver, an auxiliary cord, and an iPhone 6 or newer cord that can be used to transmit music to it. I also have a Bluetooth speaker so music can be enjoyed on the deck.
No but phones do get reception out on the water.
"Boat" shoes exist for a reason as they don't scuff the deck. I'm usually barefoot throughout my season and encourage my guests to do the same if they are comfortable doing so. Otherwise, it would be appreciated if white or tan soled shoes are worn. The only footwear rule I enforce is no high heels - not only are they not wise to wear on a moving boat, they actually damage my deck and teak.
Yes. Some customers get lucky by finding free street parking. Otherwise, the closest parking garage, which is not free, is the Pier 59 parking garage within the Chelsea Piers complex. However, I advise that you park at the Pier 60 parking garage and walk south to my marina because the Pier 59 parking garage is often filled to capacity.
Yes. I require a deposit between $240 ad $320, which is dependent on the duration of the charter.
If we cancel due to bad weather, as discussed above, you will receive a full refund. Because forecasts change constantly, we must wait until the day of the charter to make the call on potentially bad weather.
I also allow my customers to cancel their charters at least 10 days before we set sail. In this scenario, the deposit is refunded minus a 10% transaction fee. Rescheduling at least 10 days before we set sail is also allowed and no transaction fee is applied if this is the situation.
However, the deposit is not refundable if you cancel within 10 days of the start of the charter. This is, after all, how I make my living.